Sixth sign of the Zodiac just before the autumnal equinox, it is a symbol of harvest, work, manual dexterity, minutia, it is the second sign of Mercury, which acts here in a lower way earthly and practical only in the sign of Gemini, which corresponds to the airy aspect of the messenger of the gods.
- With the Virgin, we are at the end of the annual cycle of the Earth element; before the cold land of Capricorn, that of winter sowing; after the hot, humid and hot soil of Taurus, covered with the verdant and fragrant vegetation of Spring.
- Here, there is a soil parched by the summer sun and exhausted of nutritive virtues, on which lies the mown spike, until the dry grain is detached from the spike, along with its envelope.
- The plant cycle ends on a new, virgin land, destined to receive the seed later.
- Hence the representation of the sign by a young girl, winged virgin with spike or sheaf.
- Mercury is the rector's planet: at the time of harvest and reunion, where the result is weighed and calculated, we are indeed in a world that is differentiated, specialized, selects, identifies, shrinks, strips off, assigns specific limits.
- The virgin difference is more like an exercise in style aimed at the linear purity of the arabesque.
Virgin in our collections
They inspired us !
Thank's to Jean Chevalier
et Alain Gheerbrant
20 $ and Many Symbols
← Article précédent
Article suivant →