Symbols of the Cross
- The cross is composed of a vertical representing the male part of the universe, a horizontal line, which symbolizes the feminine part, and an intersection synonymous with union.
- This point of union links the material and spiritual world, the two great components of life.
- This point makes it possible to connect the material world with that of the spirit.
- The symbolism of the cross goes back to the dawn of time, and already in a region of the ancient city of Troy, this symbol was connected to a disc with rays, it was a Solar symbol.
- It is also found on pottery of the Bronze Age among the Gauls, but also among the Indians with always the same symbol Solar.
- It is in the year 300 that Christians adopt it definitively as a symbol of their religion and spirituality.
- They associate it with the death of Jesus and his Resurrection, it symbolizes the Renewal, the New Life.
- For the Romans, she was an instrument of punishment.
- But other cultures around the world have adopted this sign.
- Historically, many sailors and soldiers had her tattooed for divine protection.
The Cross on our collections
They inspired us !
Thank's to Jean Chevalier
et Alain Gheerbrant
20 $ and Many Symbols
← Article précédent
Article suivant →